Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Grrrrr.... It is the little things

Another example of how Linux is not ready for the desktop prime time. I use Gnome. I have used Gnome for a long time. I use Gnome under Solaris too. Gnome isn't the best, its not the worst, and I don't expect much from Gnome -- except that stupid things like seeing my desktop icons actually be recognized as desktop icons - not ".desktop" files!

The Fix: update-mime-database /usr/share/mime

And, someone please, please, please tell me why I cannot edit menus under Gnome for Linux? I used to be able to do this with Gnome under Solaris!?! If I want to add a new launcher or reorganize the menus, there is no obvious way to do this. Come on people, Windows 3.1 could do this! Hell, I think I'd rather find a copy of GeoWorks and start using that instead of this nonsense.

No comments: